Tuesday 21 July 2015

Morrissey at Benaroya Hall - Review! Updated w/ setlist



NOW MY HEART IS FULL!



 
You guys, it’s happened, I’ve finally seen Morrissey in concert! In all seriousness, I’ve had one of the worst years of my life, and being able to see him in person finally has been one of the most profound and powerful experiences I’ve ever had.  The line “I am a ghost, and as far as I know, I haven’t even died,” through this last year has struck me intensely and immensely, because that’s how I’ve felt. So for this to happen means everything to me.  But enough about me, oh where do I begin? Where? Where Where?

I feel as if I’m in a trance, or dream right now, so I hope this turns out; I may not be at my most eloquent.

I felt so nervous all day – I was shaking, I could hardly eat, (in a surprising turn of events somehow, your resident insomniac didsleep the night before); I have it bad, my friends. I was so out of sorts I began to believe the venue was actually called Bena‘roya(L)’ Hall.  

Anyway, when we arrived at the venue, I could NOT believe how close our seats were. It was reserved seating, so we were 6throw centre – DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE MICROPHONE! Actually, when the lights went dim, a bunch of people rushed ahead, as is usual at a Morrissey concert, and I temporarily made it into the 5th row, but then the late people showed up and I had to move back AND I nearly got a black eye! Tremendous! And at this venue, I should add, the rows are very close to the stage, so it was really magnificent being so close.





When he walked out, I could not believe how gorgeous Morrissey is in person – so strikingly handsome. I was awestruck.  This is the man whose words have helped me through the hardest times in my life and spoke to me when no one else could.  Now he was standing in front of me; I was overwhelmed.  




And he sounded BEAUTIFUL. I do have to admit I do not have the setlist memorized – although some highlights were One of Our Own and Yes I Am Blind, which were not on the previous set list from Utah, although the setlist was fairly similar. I will post it when I find it in detail.

Setlist:

1.Suedhead
2. Alma Matters
3. Speedway
4. Staircase at the University
5. Ganglord  
6. Kiss Me A Lot
7. World Peace is None of Your Business
8. One Of Our Own
9. Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before
10. Istabul
11. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
12. I Will See You in Far Off Places
13. Yes I Am Blind
14. Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
15. Bullfighter Dies
16. Now My Heart Is Full
17. People Are The Same Everywhere
18. Meat Is Murder
19. Everyday is Like Sunday
Encore:
20. The Queen is Dead  
       

Some interesting moments for those of us who may be looking for “coincidences” were during Staircase at the University, where during the “If you don’t get 3 A’s” line, he made a THREE gesture with his index, middle, and ring finger down at his side with his left hand. Now, I may be reading into this one a bit much, because it is in the lyrics, but with all this 3 and 4 excitement lately, I did find it extremely interesting.

You may also appreciate that someone in the front row had a bunch of gladioli. He looked at them and asked, “For me?” and added, “I’m sorry I can’t accept those.” Hmmm.

For those of us who look for signs, I should add this Oscar Wilde quote I came across the other day that really spoke to me: "you know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know.” (My fonts are all over the place, but I'm too tired to figure out why).

One extra thing that I'm quite sure I imagined in my throes of ecstasy, but I'll just add it in because it gave me some personal enjoyment; I'll just let myself believe it. He appeared to point in my direction during the “stylish and glum” line in Istanbul. I've referred to myself as "stylish and glum" on this blob. Although to be honest me thinking this is probably quite insane, as I have only on one instance put up a photo on twitter (which I promptly deleted, as I love “flying under the radar”) and my flaxen hair was curled in it, while tonight I wore it straight. The only people around when I tweeted the photo were Kerry and Astraea. I highly doubt he would ever recognize me, but the more you start reading into things, the more you seem to, well, read.

Meat is Murder was so intense for me, and it did bring me to tears. Seeing it in person is so powerful, and I am seriously considering taking the next step (I am already a Vegetarian) and becoming Vegan.  I am so moved by it just thinking about it makes my arms shake a bit as I type.
I HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOU CAN ATTEND A MORRISSEY SHOW, SEE THAT FOOTAGE, AND NOT BECOME VEGETARIAN/VEGAN.  I just don't see how you could ever eat dead animals again when you see the horrors that occur in the meat industry.  

Now, for the shirt toss.  I think Orange will roll all the way out of his fruit bowl when he hears about it. Morrissey came out for TQID as the encore, with a blackish/dark grey shirt with an orange sticker on it, with what appeared to have orange lining under the collar. When he ripped it off, and my goodness it was hard to tear my eyes away from that torso, I noticed, quite blatantly, that the entire lining appeared to be orange. He then turned the shirt inside out, lining exposed, and very flauntingly waved it back and forth for ages before tossing it into the crowd.  

I’m very, very tired and emotionally overwhelmed right now.  I still can’t even believe it happened for me.  I should add I got my pillow case, which I probably need to crash into now.  I still have my letter, as I couldn’t get quite close enough to give it to him.  I genuinely hope I am able to one day, because I can’t imagine how I could have even survived this difficult year without him.  I yelled out “I LOVE YOU” at the top of my lungs at one point, but I have so many things to say. This has been a beautiful, intense, profound, religious experience for me. Unquestionably, the best day of my life.

AT LAST I AM BORN.

And now, onwards to Troutdale.



 

29 comments:

  1. A moving review, thank you for sharing the experience; a Morrissey concert can indeed be a religious event.

    I am envious that Yes, I am blind wasn't played on the night I saw him in Sydney. I've expressed so many tears over that song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you comrade. Yes I Am Blind was beautiful. I hope you get to see it someday

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your review and pictures M.
    I was very moving, and I NEVER say words to that effect!
    I enjoy reading what you write.
    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerry. <3

      I was awash in my supposedly waterproof mascara by the end of the night.

      Forgot to add:
      He introduced Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before as What Difference Does it Make? and then said "Noooo." I looked over and Boz was smirking.

      Also when he introduced People Are The Same Everywhere he said something to the extent of "We don't play it very often, because no one really likes it." LOL I was excited to hear all of it myself, but like you said, perhaps that was a dig on the creche.

      Delete
    2. Moved* not moving.
      I love PATSE. I think it should be encore next concert and be extended by an extra THREE minutes!

      Delete
    3. Oh, and forgot to mention, I'm THIRD row aisle at the next show.

      Delete
    4. THIRD row? You must be 'royally' winding me up?!

      Delete
    5. THIRD row? You must be 'royally' winding me up?!

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us!

    Going to see Morrissey live is very special indeed and always highly emotional!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved loved loved your review! But I knew that before I even read it. I'm beyond intrigued that the brown-orange shirt made an appearance again... A coincidence, no doubt! I'm slightly obsessed with colours obviously. However, as for the PETA stickers - he transports an important message with them, and even if they happen to be orange, it feels wrong to interpret them as signs/references. Shirts though? Any time!

    You've probably found it yourself already, but here's footage from Istanbul - I don't think I've ever seen that gesture during "stylish and glum" before. Am I feeding your delusions? Good!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BwuzGo3En4

    Are you already on your way to Troutdale? I hope hope hope we'll get another review. Safe journey to you and all your hair products. What on earth is "flat iron spray" and do you think I will survive without ever owning a bangs comb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you loved loved loved it Orange. I couldn't read the sticker, but you're right with Peta stickers the message is 100% for the animals. Waking up today I know I'm going to work harder towards becoming Vegan. I found transition to Vegetarianism so seamless and Vegan has been tougher, but I know I can and will do it.

      Hotel wifi won't let me watch the video - although I can hardly wait to see. You are definitely feeding my delusions haha - and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

      We are taking a short trip to Experience Music Project and then leaving for Troutdale. I will absolutely try to write another review. Thank you for your wishes.

      Can anyone survive without owning a bangs comb?

      Delete
    2. M do what I'm trying to do, give up things one at a time. I've gave up milk last month, then butter this month.
      I'm going to leave eggs until the very last, (pasta, Mayo, eggs themselves). I've got to tackle ingredients in things next as nearly.
      You're right you can't watch the video to MIM, and not think how you can improve your eating habits. Let's see what my husband makes of it in September. I'm hoping it might put him off red meat as a start and then small steps from then on.

      Delete
    3. Just gloss over the bits that don't make sense, I really am thick as shit.

      Delete
    4. That's a fantastic idea. I have already pretty much moved on to soy lattes, and have given up eggs for the most part, although they can be sneaky and find their way into other items. Cheese then yogurt last would be the order I'd probably go.
      Will it be your husband's first show? It might just be what it takes to put him off the flesh eating bloodlust. The footage of the cows is so heart wrenching. All of it is heart wrenching.

      Delete
    5. It will be his first show. Uninvited too, but I'm excited for him, as well as a little apprehensive that he is coming. I guess with all this going on he has gained some interest.
      It is heart wrenching. When I was in Leeds I got chucked out and then aloud back in and ended up right at the back alone, next to a group of people. They watched the MIM video, and then all started saying it's awful, but, it wouldn't stop them eating meat. I was gobsmacked, and me, (normally I'm shy), being me questioned them. Their reply. Well it's old footage, probably from Romania or somewhere. My reply,. That's not the point! It doesn't matter where it's from, even though it probably IS from Romania, it's the cruelty wherever it's from. You demand, somewhere they supply.
      I forgot about yogurt too, just shows how hard it is. Eggs and milk are ingredients to almost everything.

      Delete
    6. I'm finding it reasonably easy eating vegan. If you're having trouble, I suggest start by eating vegan at home. Find a good milk alternative, make protein non-milkshakes with vegan protein powders and have plenty of fruit and veg and there's lots of vegan meat alternatives in the supermarket fridge and freezer section s (or there is where I live anywhere).

      The hardest is when you're eating out.

      Delete
    7. Oh, and even though I'm on the mood-alternating happy pills, experiencing MIM live still makes me emotional.

      Delete
  5. Great review, It sounds like you had a fantastic time. A bit bummed that we didn't get OOOO as thats one of my absolute favourites from World Peace. How close are your seats for Troutdale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are 3rd row on the aisle. More to the side, but even closer to the front

      Delete
    2. I find that either side is a great spot and 3rd row isn't so bad though, I hope you have long arms to get close enough for a handshake! Enjoy, maybe make some blog inspired hand signs.

      Delete
  6. ah, how good do you feel after the show, as for giving up milk etc I gave up milk years ago and in work someone tipped out my alpro carton and put cows milk in it instead, when I tasted my cup of tea I felt sick, it is so strange how your body adjusts, have a fab time at Troutdale it looks like a great venue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have arrived in Troutdale and the Wifi here is allowing me to watch some of the videos from last night. Here is Staircase and it should link to others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5XwdvDr-X8&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great footage on that channel! "baby j" - Kristeen Young's ex-drummer? Coincidentally, before the Moz show, he uploaded a whole Culture Club concert. Coincidence of course.

      I particularly liked Paris... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t28Mdl3Yq94

      Does he sing "I TRIPLE all over the place"?? I can't quite make it out, I'm too distracted by the orange finger lingerie. And I had just recovered from that orange shirt... I think I may need help.

      Delete
    2. I feel left out. I want finger lingerie with a big fuck off massive THREE written on it.

      Delete
    3. You had your sign with the "TRIPLE all over the place" line!

      I suggest you come up with a TWoM pessoa, and make it simple, just a colour or a basic geometrical object. You could be a yellow egg-shaped thing and call yourself Blob - I promise you the signs will come in thick instantly!

      Delete
    4. What, make up my own Pessoa?
      You must be kidding, I'd NEVER do that!

      Delete
    5. I'm thinking of creating comrade herpes.

      I"d like to hear herpes snuck into a lyric.

      Delete
    6. Now, that's a challenge I hope he accepts!

      Delete