Thursday 30 May 2019

7 nights: A Review of Morrissey's Residency on Broadway

That last stretch to 46th street always zoomed by like a race: turning right out of the subway, and another right up a blackened walkway, to the tap tap of concrete steps on 42nd street. 7 times. Up into rain-smattered early evening light, weaving past endless people: monochromatic business guys and snail’s paced tourists staring at phone screens, staring at 10-story-high screens. Tanned limbed girls and boys wear stars-and-stripes thongs and grotesque green statues of liberty sway on stilts; bright colours against sooty skyscrapers. I suppose this all spells endless distraction if you are so inclined; however, extroverted Times Square is very Americana and far too overwhelming for a Canadian girl from a small town. But that’s okay because I’m here for something else.

7 times weaving past far too many people. And then, on that final left turn onto 46th, the air around that corner always rushes like the silk of the finish line, and my heart stutters a bit, as I am met with 4 Morrisseys looking out from the facade of the Lunt-Fontanne theatre. Suddenly, everything else disappears.





This is my first real trip to New York. Sure, I had been there for 2 nights in 2017, but this time it will be 2 weeks. I will even learn how to semi-navigate the subways, and strangely, for this claustrophic germophobic nearly everything phobic, I begin to like them: cooing at fat grey rats on the tracks from the grime of the platform, and, as for the ride – my favourite part is when the train turns a bit, squawking metal on metal, and sparks fly. I can’t pretend to be, in any capacity, a “New Yorker,” but I’m not entirely useless.

My first night in Manhattan I meet a guy selling records at a street stall, mostly weird rare jazz stuff in silky filthy plastic sleeves ... I would linger, but people, yet again, overwhelm. I get a lot of, “you’re not from around here, are you”s and soon end up back in my friends apartment, looking out at a skyline that previously existed only in movies. I am alone, the only sounds incessant honking and Imagine playing on a distant piano ... a little too surreal. New Yorkers, or those who can face driving in the city, seem to express their angst through their car horns: not just one long honk, but in triplets and quintuplets.

The next day, I walk into a cafe and New York, New York starts playing, and I really began to wonder if I am in a movie. Yellow taxis crawl up streets bumper-to-bumper, and black fire escapes snake up the sides of decaying buildings like spider’s legs. That night, we go to a Patti Smith gig and a diner that looks like something out of Seinfeld.

And then... May 2nd arrives: Morrissey’s opening night on Broadway. What will it be like? When I think Broadway, I think a chorus of girls with Carol Channing lips dancing in glittering top hats, but surely not... and maybe a lot of rich people. Will they make us stay in our seats... at a Morrissey concert?




We line up early, along with international playboygirls from Japan, the UK, Mexico, Belgium. New Yorkers are there too, of course. The atmosphere buzzes. Built in 1910, the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre features Beaux-Arts stylings: gargoyles and arched windows, and most certainly, lashings of glamorous golden lights. Tickets scanned in, we are then herded into the lobby, impatiently waiting on jewel-toned carpets to race down to the orchestra. The Broadway merch is classy and cool, mostly black, but I try to keep my purse-strings tightened because everything in Manhattan costs a small fortune, and I’m already languishing under the dismal Canadian exchange rate. There’s a drink called Hairdresser On Fireball that tastes like cinnamon candy hearts, and a few shows in, when I’m the right amount of nervous, I’ll get one. But tonight, I’m 100% present, in the moment, and relishing that pre-gig mix of excitement and jitters that feels like a combination of first date and final game of the playoffs, and yet somehow, far beyond this or any other description.

7 times we rush down stairs into the orchestra pit at Lunt-Fontanne, and wait, under the glowing teardrops of chandeliers, for Morrissey to take the stage. The theatre’s stage is closest to the audience at the sides, with centre barrier stretching a half-moon ocean to Morrissey’s microphone. Such a far gap makes stage-climbing seem unlikely, and towards the centre, handshakes would also require extra agility, or extremely long arms. Between the stage and front row there is no existing solid floor, only a black ropy net stretched over beams, underneath which lies a possibly 15-foot drop. I gingerly press my foot through the black fabric of the barrier and see it gives way, and the area below is soon littered with drinks, a purse, and a likely ill-fated iphone. Freaky.

I find this all a bit of a thrill, and clutch my Playbill, my eyes dancing from pre show video to pre show video. And then... after Rebel Rebel, the moment arrives... and we meet again. No one is in their seats, well at least no one around me, and the audience cheers, as Morrissey walks up to the microphone, wearing a black sequined peacock jacket, a Morrissey merch tee (cut at the neck), and dark wash jeans.





There is a light that never goes out... on Broadway” he croons.

The first song of opening night pours through the theatre like liquid gold, and That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore brings cathartic sparkle, soothing the soul and captivating the heart. The healing opener draws us in lovingly, followed by uptempo Suedehead, which whips us, with a microphone cord, into a frenzy. Set design exudes vintage Hollywood, featuring massive 1940’s-style camera flash bulbs shining various colours (unversed in such matters, I initially think these are giant metal parasols, but awe-inspiring, nonetheless). At times, trios of lights spread like fans, basking Morrissey in ethereal blue.






The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd,” he quips.

Setlists span remarkable decades, yet always embrace in-the-moment themes, indicating the timelessness of Morrissey’s art. Alma Matters is an ode to living life on your own terms, If You Don’t Like Me, Don’t Look At Me is a succinct “get lost” to the haters, and I Wish You Lonely muses on existential bleakness. And... as if our emotions aren’t already overpouring, unrequited love pummels us to the core for the encore, with the painful, earnest longing of Let Me Kiss You. My heart is open to you...

6 more times. Wow.

I am now staying in Brooklyn between shows, enticed by its slightly slower pace and a pair of very cuddly cats, peaches and cream-grey Grettel and black with pink toes Minuit. Non-stop purrs lure me to spend the day in bed, but I do make it out around noon a few times to explore Brooklyn’s brownstone-lined streets and even take in a Frida Kahlo exhibit, as brushstrokes take on new, textured life in person.

And every time, no matter how humid or hectic, that rush hour subway ride back to Broadway throbs with tip-of-the-tongue, almost there magic. In fact, in a strange way, this nightly penance intensifies my joy, as do the beaming, disjointed rides ‘home’... to Brooklyn.

Before and after gigs, fans wait alongside Lunt-Fontanne’s stage doors for Morrissey to arrive and depart. Some hold black markers, hoping to have their Playbills, albums, or own skin signed. If you time it right, you just might see him slip into the venue, and if you time it even better, he may stop to say hello. Celebratory cheers welcome him as he arrives, and I wonder if one ever gets used to such a thing, and what range of emotions it inspires. I love that he is loved... the truth exists in action, and I see it with my own eyes every night. Meanwhile, the clickbait-mad out of tune British press continues to be obsessively cruel to him, and I hope that the reception first in Canada, and then on Broadway, at least somewhat eases the pain of that.


Night 2

Setlists continue to sparkle, as Morrissey’s voice is stronger than ever, at once both smooth and passionate, and the band is ultra on-point for slow, pensive pieces and vibrant faster-paced ones alike. California Son covers dazzle, inspiring even headier anticipation for the album’s May 24th release, and one night, Morrissey brings a vinyl on stage, showing the front cover, back cover: “I’m Me, Not Meat. Go Vegan,” and inner sleeve.

I believe the setlists are also strong because Morrissey’s music appeals to both current events of the external world, and to the constantly churning internal world of the human spirit: covering everything from how to avoid the dismal clutches of the media and tedious bosses: Spent The Day In Bed, to experiencing the impermeable, aching loneliness of rejected love: Seasick Yet Still Docked. And... who else has ever openly sung that all-encompassing truth: Life Is A Pigsty... and this is one of many reasons why we luff you, Morrissey.


Night 3

Night 5


Every night transports us to a different dimension, and every night is unique.

Small, precious details make the live experience otherworldly, to be woven into the fabric of your heart for life: and I wish I could remember even more than my ever-slipping memory can grasp, to relive every facet in its entirety, but even when memories begin to fade, the feeling can never be lost. I cling to Morrissey’s words between songs, from the profound to humorous, to the profoundly humorous. One night, he changes the lyrics to How Soon Is Now? to blend with Half A Person... six long years chasing your tail... and it is spellbinding.

“What Would You Do If You Weren’t Afraid?” asks the backdrop in stark white font, for Dial A Cliche. The question sticks with me... and I use the song’s lyrical wisdom to hold me through some difficult times on my return to Canada... and I again remember, that I’m never really alone.


What Would You Do If You Weren't Afraid?

On Friday, during What She Said, I prop myself up, my hips against the barrier... the stage seems unreachably far away, as I am near the centre of front row.  And then... Morrissey is looking at me, reaching towards me for a handshake. Can I make it? I balance my left hand onto that black netting pulled over the abyss down below, and stretch myself to the very tips of my left toes, an ungraceful ballerina ... and a sharp, hardening pain tells me a leg cramp is imminent, but I look into his bluest eyes and the pain entirely dissolves, and our hands meet. In that moment, I wouldn’t trade places with anyone else on this earth.

Closing night arrives and the entire theatre throbs with spectacular energy. Opening with the swaggering riffs of The Last Of The Famous International Playboys, we are treated to another stellar set and Broadway is on fire. I feel so jubilant but also, inside, I am beginning to wilt, as I never wanted this time to end... and saying goodbye til next tour is never easy. At any given moment, I could cry, or my heart could soar... are there any borders to emotion? I think this is what it feels like to fully live. And I’ve done it, 7 times here at the Lunt-Fontanne.


Night 7

Take it from me. Life passes by in the blink of an eye. So the question is, what the hell are you going to do with your blink”?

Boz and Jesse stand behind Morrissey, facing each other, intricately weaving guitar notes...the lights glow like golden moons... and then... Morrissey sings softly, “I won’t share you...” for the first time ever, live.

The press in England say really disgusting things about me to such a degree and such a consistency that I think they actually have a crush on me... and they just can’t stop... but anything they say and all the horrible things that they continue to say... you , this week have made it all worthwhile, I’m so grateful to you”

Tears flow. And then... one more Broadway encore: First Of The Gang To Die. Morrissey rips his shirt off, throws it into the crowd, and disappears into the Manhattan night.

Outside, the rain falls hard... and for the last of 7 nights, I look up at the sign outside the Lunt-Fontanne.

‘Til next time.





#teamsnuggles




1 comment:

  1. A very enjoyable read - you brought New York to life.

    Rat

    ReplyDelete