Thursday 29 September 2016

Morrissey in Tokyo, Orchard Hall - Nights 1 & 2

I've been loving the social media updates and watching my friends have such a great time at the Morrissey shows in Japan. Such excitement has helped me through a particularly bad return of the black dog. Japan looks fascinating, although I'd admittedly find the fact I can't read the language intimidating. Everything from scrumptious-looking vegan food to toilets that make "fax-machine sounds" to Cat Cafés (be still my heart!) have been gracing my timeline.

As we have a strong Japanese population in Western Canada, it's been interesting for me to observe, even from afar, what actual Japan is like. Particularly in Vancouver, we are huge embracers of Japanese culture, and I don't mean ultra-westernized Japanese-fusion 'culture,' as in the bizarre "going-out" kimono I bought a few years back at H&M, which I have never actually gone out in (on its arrival home I realized it looked less like a kimono and more like a smoking jacket...), or California-roll sushi (sushi was perhaps the only flesh thing I missed ever so slightly when I first went veggie, though not any more). No, here in Canada (particularly Vancouver) we have a fair bit of  relatively authentic Japanese culture happening. That said, it's nothing on how it looks to walk through the actual Tokyo streets themselves!

My wonderful Japanese friend @plainchant_w (on Twitter), who I've queued with in London, California, Germany, and Manchester managed to get some gorgeous photos and scintillating footage of Morrissey covering the Ramones' "Judy is a Punk" - I hope Morrissey keeps this in the setlist! I thought I'd post some of her photos and some others I've come across that I've really liked. 

Night 1:


photo by @plainchant_w

photo by @plainchant_w


Via @civic77si
The above photo - with the Present Box - is something I haven't seen before at a concert (perhaps this is done more often in Asia?) - but it really is a great idea for those who are far back and might not be able to get something to the stage.


photo by @plainchant_w

photo by Prodigalson8


photo via marcoxocram on Instagram


Setlist for Night 1 (from Setlist FM):

1. Suedehead
2. Alma Matters
3. You Have Killed Me
4. Ouija Board, Ouija Board
5. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
6. World Peace Is None Of Your Business
7. Ganglord
8. Speedway
9. Kiss Me A Lot
10. All You Need Is Me
11. First Of The Gang To Die
12. The Bullfighter Dies
13. Meat Is Murder
14. Everyday Is Like Sunday
15. The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
16. You're The One For Me Fatty
17. How Soon Is Now?
18. Jack The Ripper

Encore:

19. What She Said


Night 2:



photo by @plainchant_w


Photo by Curtis Butler (the_guru92 on Instagram)
@LizzyCatMoz captioned the above photo (on Twitter) the pole dancing photo - and I had to do a double take! Now I'm sensing a theme, keeping in mind this recent shot from the US:



And, finally there was a necklace mishap that Moz took with stride and handled with absolute grace. Bless him!:

Photo by Yukiko


Setlist For Night 2 (From Setlist FM):

1. Let Me Kiss You (WITH IMMEDIATE SHIRT TOSS!)
2. Everyday Is Like Sunday
3. Irish Blood, English Heart
4. Istanbul
5. Jack The Ripper
6. Kiss Me A Lot
7. Kick The Bride Down The Aisle
8. First Of The Gang To Die
9. World Peace Is None Of Your Business
10. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
11. All The Lazy Dykes
12. It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small
13. Speedway
14. How Soon Is Now?
15. Oboe Concerto
16. How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?
17. The Bullfighter Dies
18. Ouija Board, Ouija Board

Encore:

19. Judy Is A Punk (Ramones cover)




I'm actually going to make vegan Japanese food tonight now. In other news, I've recently come across some dazzling new charming cardigan photos that I must organize... (it appears as though 2002 and 2009 were big cardigan years!), so I'm off to do that. I've also adopted a pet spider that sits on my window sill while I type, and I've named him Moogly (panic for a short time as he went into hiding, but... he's back!). Yes, I absolutely do talk to him. There was a time when I would fly into a terror over even tiny spiders, and I'm proud to say those times have changed, and that is thanks to Morrissey helping me learn to embrace all creatures. That said, massive spiders still send me into hysteric screams. Now we look to Osaka...

No comments:

Post a Comment