Friday 5 August 2016

"I Paddle My Own Canoe"

This has been an eventful week for me. I’ve managed to score tickets for the US shows I’ve had my sights set on, including Reno, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. Many thanks to my wonderful followers, who helped me out and made the pre-sales far less stressful, especially as one website was giving me issues as an international customer. San Antonio seemed to sell out almost immediately - what panic as the site kept freezing. I also acquired tickets for Irvine, which I’m thrilled about as I decided to add that date at the last minute. While checking the pre-sale site for a friend to see if it was crashing or not, I landed 3 tickets – well, could I resist them once they were nestled in my cart? Of course I couldn’t!





A second date has already been added for Irvine - which I wasn't able to add to my plans at the moment - but it looks like some more dates may appear. I wouldn't be surprised to see another date added to San Antonio, considering how quickly it sold out. It was difficult for many to get tickets to that show; the venue looks quite spectacular:


 


Now I look on towards Berlin and Manchester, which are coming up very soon! I’ve already started refining my packing lists, which, as always, are rather extensive. How will I get everything into my suitcase? But for now, all eyes will of course be on the shows in Norway. As Mando hinted, there may be new songs... and it’s always exciting to see what other gems will find their way onto the setlists.  What will be said between songs?  Will there be new backdrops or pre-show videos? Oooh! Palpable, delicious anticipation. Earlier in the week, Morrissey was photographed walking around Bergen (the coats in August seem to be telling me Norway must be chilly!) As always, I wonder what it must be like to be photographed everywhere - does one get used to it? At times my moony excitement over new photos makes me feel guilty, and as such produces mixed emotions: does Moz mind being photographed out in public like that? I suppose I can't really ever know, and I can't help but think it might be a strange feeling, however used to it one might become.


Moz and Damon in Bergen via demoniosenzacuore on IG


Meanwhile some new interviews have appeared, including an Australian one in anticipation of his five upcoming dates there.  Some unfortunate mindless gossips parading as ‘journalists’ have, of course, hacked this interview apart already, including an article in the Guardian which insinuated Moz is racist for being critical of Halal slaughter. Clearly speaking up against the cruel murder of innocent animals doesn’t make one racist! However, this trash-pseudo-news story claims just that, as it rips Morrissey's quotes out of context. I was incensed by such a despicable piece, which is best described as a 300 word non-effort ramble of sensationalism and mind-numbing cliches (thank goodness it wasn’t any longer, really). Predictably, it ended with the “Heaven knows we’re miserable...” line. Oh, to be so creative! Do people really get paid to write this nonsense?

To me, it’s very unfortunate that when Morrissey stands up for the rights of animals, he is attacked. This is, of course, usually due to the person’s own implicit guilt surrounding their own speciesist views, OR merely that they are attempting to gain attention towards their own dreary selves by criticizing him, because they seem incapable of attracting any legitimate attention based on their own talent, or merits. It’s highly doubtful to me that these people care about human rights either; they are just thirstily seeking for ways to pick a fight.  I also think many in this world are terrified of someone with a mind – someone who does not follow the herd – someone who isn't marketed to tacitly nod in agreement – someone who expresses themselves – I could go on. Individuality intimidates – so attack mode sets in. But enough about the world's crashing bores: let’s move on.

There’s so much destruction, all over the world, and all you can do is complain about me.”




Some highlight quotes from the original Australian article included (with respect to the source):

"I don't know anyone who likes the Boil Family...There is no such thing as a royal person...Harry killed 34 people in Afghanistan and the UK press called him a hero. If he ate 34 poor people in Haiti the UK press would still call him a hero. It is insufferable."

"I find that if you are a genuine artist in 2016 you must look after yourself... I paddle my own canoe."

"I don't celebrate my birthday, or much else come to think of it"

The interview also includes some insightful quotes about politics, the meat industry, and the news that Morrissey was not consulted on the new biopic Steven that is being filmed. One of my personal favourite quotes was the last one:

"I've never been involved in the literary world. Or even the literal world."



"Reality is not real to me"


I genuinely hope Moz actually is working on a new novel, or some kind of literary work. I adore his way with words, and I hope the narrow-minded critics and their personal attacks didn’t put him off. He writes something different. He says something different. Amongst all the beiges of the world, that's a tremendous something. As most of you know, I am a great admirer of List of the Lost.

One very important question asked by the interviewer was if converting people to Vegetarianism and Veganism would be one of Morrissey's proudest legacies. He said yes. I know he helped me take the steps to become Vegetarian, make more Vegan choices, and say no to any products that test on animals.  This is also the case for many people I know. The footage he shows at concerts during Meat is Murder speaks for itself - you can't love animals and eat them - there is no humane way to do such a thing, despite what the farming industries and shouting big-money advertisers want you to believe. This is footage deemed too violent and disturbing for television, yet on these same television screens we are shown images of ribs and burgers repeatedly, forcefully. 

In light of this, I decided last night to make a poll seeing if my followers became Vegan through the help of Morrissey's influence.  As always with Twitter polls, it was a little difficult to formulate, because of character and option limitations (the third option, for instance, meant that someone was a Vegan or Vegetarian before discovering Morrissey - oh - how to fit that in under 20 characters...)  I also mentioned in response to my tweet that people who had at least reduced their meat-eating habits or had started to think about this could reply if they'd like, as that is the first step in change (I would have liked this as a 5th poll option if it had been possible). After I tweeted the poll, I initially felt apprehensive, did I really want to see the numbers? I know this is something so important to Morrissey, so I was a little afraid that the results wouldn't be as much of a landslide victory for the Veggie and Vegan crowd as I had hoped. 

As the numbers started rolling in, I was glowing - at one point, we had 90% of people say their eating habits had changed towards reducing animal products. Amazing! Slowly, it evened out towards about 60% of people saying they have become Vegan or Vegetarian thanks to Morrissey raising awareness about the meat industry (7 % already were).  That's huge.  The truth is, each person who moves away from a carnivorous diet is making a huge difference. According to Peta, not eating animals saves around 100 animal lives a year.  Think of the lives saved.

Photo via Peta.org

Poll results as of approx 11 a.m. PST:




Sadly, and by no fault of my well-meaning followers, the poll seemed to end up re-tweeted into the hands of some rather aggressively carnivorous tweeters (some of which I have my doubts as to whether they were even Morrissey fans) so the veggie numbers did slide slightly. Yes, yes, I know - I do realize not everyone is vegetarian, but the odd person grew rather confrontational, even rude. This begs the question why do some meat-eaters resort to abusive language when simply questioned about their eating habits? I'll let you ponder that, considering there was absolutely nothing antagonistic about my initial question. Regardless of this, the important message to extract here is that Moz has made an incredibly significant difference in the lives of many humans and countless, countless animals.

Poll results as of 2:30 pm PST:




Here was one of my absolute favourite replies of the day:







And now, we wait for reviews to come in from Bergen, followed by Stavanger.  I'm off to try to relax after all the ticket buying jitters. Wine is in order tonight, and I have a trip to plan: somehow I have to find a way to cram three cans of hairspray AND a sleeping bag into my suitcase.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to meeting you in Berlin! You'll like the city, of all German cities it's clearly my favourite. I've read in an earlier blog post that you're already practicing to say "Rotwein" without accent, but I'd rather teach you how to speak English with German accent, to cause maximum confusion when you order a drink. It's far easier with white wine, just say vite vine, so we'll need an extra lesson for ze red. And a lot of practice, so you'll have to order a lot of wine. Wishing you a pleasant flight with only deaf-mute people in all adjacent seats. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to meeting you too! I'm very excited to be going to continental Europe for the first time. Oh how I'd love to pick up how to convincingly speak English with a German accent, because then I can pretend to be from abroad whenever I'm out in my own town - which means I can pretend I don't know English well, which means I can avoid unwanted conversation. Brilliant. I've heard ze vine flows inexpensively in Germany. As for my flight, this time I was able to reserve a seat, so fingers crossed that I don't get stuck in the middle again.

      Delete